While the original source of the recent protests was the alleged police misconduct in one municipality, it morphed into a national movement and then was captured by the extreme left and turned into a general attempt to disband or disarm all police agencies. While it is unlikely that any municipalities will actually disbanded their police departments it is probable that new State and Federal regulations will render police unable to adequately protect the life and property of citizens.
- Police may be prohibited from using effective means to stop or restrain criminals who resist arrest. Knowing this, criminals may simply ignore lawful orders to stop or submit to handcuffing. Without the use of effective take-down methods, police are left to scuffle with criminals who outweigh them and may be on drugs that greatly increase their strength. Police may (wisely) elect to just let them go.
- If the job of police is to confront strong and often armed criminals without being able to use force, many of them will resign, few will volunteer, and more will commit suicide [^1].
- Police may be prohibited from using so-called “military-style” equipment and weapons such as armored vehicles, teargas, and “assault-rifles”, leaving them totally unable to resist organized crime, riots and looting.
- If police “defunding” demands are even partially met there will be fewer police, less training, and fewer raises and benefits. Why will anyone want to become a cop?
The primary justification for having government is to protect the people against enemies, foreign and domestic. If the government (national, state, or local) is rendered unable to protect the people, the citizens have the right and obligation to band together for mutual defense of life, liberty and property.
If the anarchists are successful in rendering the police ineffectual, the citizens will be forced to act in their own best interests by forming community defense organizations. Such organizations may be called: The Neighborhood Protection Committee, The Home and Community Defense Alliance, or The Town Safety Association. It would be preferable that such organizations would operate with the support of the local police agencies, if possible. Such organizations should be non-political, and avoid recruitment of unstable, criminal and extremist elements. In addition to defensive duties, these organizations should participate in community clean-up, elderly help, disaster relief and other similar activities.
- Members would be required to maintain a minimum level of armament and ammunition. For example: a handgun of no-smaller than 9mm with a magazine capacity of no less than 17 rounds, four spare magazines and 500 rounds of ammunition. Or a shotgun with 250 rounds of police or self-defense ammunition. Or a rifle of 5.56 mm with 15 or 30 round magazines. While standardization may be desirable this is not a para-military organization and members may have different budgets and capabilities.
- Members would be required to pledge a certain number of hours to patrolling, guarding and responding to drills and actual emergencies
- A fast phone-tree, or auto call system would be required to assure fast response to developing crime or unrest situations.
- Emergency plans to cover various threats would need to be developed by a committee and hopefully together with existing law enforcement agencies.
- While uniforms would not be required some form of easily identifiable garment such as a vest, cap, or arm ban would be necessary.
- The mission of such groups must be confined to local defense and crime prevention, and activities beyond the town or county borders should be avoided.
It would be regrettable if good law-abiding citizens are driven to such measures, and there would no doubt be incidents of abuse and conflict, but the alternative would be true anarchy, and the surrender of our communities to criminals. At some point there would be efforts to outlaw, disarm and disband such organizations. This would only lead to further violence and an end to American society and liberty. Let’s hope the politicians are wise enough not to force the public into such a situation
[^1]: The suicide rate among police is already extremely high.